I went into our bookshelves to pull out all of our Halloween books and start reading them to my kids again. And frankly…we have a strange number of books about bats. Not only do we have five beautiful picture books that feature friendly, cute bats, but we also have a number of factual books due to a report my nine year old did a few years ago on tent bats living in the Amazon.
So my October-themed books include both Halloween and those strange nocturnal creatures with which my boys seem so enamored:
• Too Many Pumpkins by Linda White
• The Graves Family by Patricia Polacco
• Zen Ghosts by John Muth
• We’re Off to Find the Witch’s House by Mr. Kreib and R.W. Alley
• Night Song by Ari Berk and Loren Long
• Bats at the Library, Bats at the Beach, and Bats at the Ballgame by Brian Lies
• Stellaluna by Janell Cannon
• The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything by Linda Williams and Megan Lloyd
• Which Witch’s Wand Works by Poly Bernatene
I am always on the lookout for a great picture book about Halloween, though my kids will soon grow out of them. So while they still love to hear me read to them at night, I would love your suggestions.